Wednesday, November 4, 2009

13 Questions with MyMiserys: Alexandra Sokoloff














1. How old were you when you wrote what you consider your first story?
I was probably eight or nine. It was a play, and my neighbor friends and I put it on in their garage and charged admission to the neighborhood.

2. What inspired you to write it?
We were always doing elaborate roleplaying games and putting on Karaoke concerts in the living room, so doing a one-act play was the natural extension. It was really more about having something to perform in; I was an actor first, and my focus on writing came much later.

3. What was the first book you wrote?
The Harrowing was my very first book.

















4. Of all the books you've written, which is your favorite?
The last one, Book of Shadows ? about a Boston homicide detective who is forced to team up with a beautiful, mysterious witch from Salem to solve what looks like a Satanic murder. It will be out from St. Martin?s Press in June 2010.

5. Which book would you like to forget you wrote?
I like all of my books. There are some scripts I have gladly forgotten, though.

6. Who is the most influential person in your life?
At the moment, that?s a secret.

7. Who is your favorite author?
Shakespeare. Notice how that answer keeps me out of trouble.

8. If you could only own one book, what would it be?
The Complete Works of William Shakespeare. See above, but it?s also true. What more does anyone need?
















9. When and where do you write?
All the time, everywhere. Best writing is early in the morning, late at night, and on planes.

10. Do you have a "day job?"
This is my day job.

11. Do you have a "dream job?"
This is also my dream job.

12. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
It would be more than one place, but London for one, because the city is just magical to me, the history and the art and the living archetypes and, oh, yeah, English men.
And somewhere on the beach. Right now Charleston is being pretty great.

13. What is your guilty pleasure?
Flirting at writing conference.
http://www.alexandrasokoloff.com/

--Kimberly Cook

(The Black Glove thanks Alexandra Sokoloff for her time and efforts)