Tuesday, August 4, 2009

13 Questions with MyMiserys: James Moore












1.) How old were you when you wrote what you consider your first story?
About 14. I dabbled a bit in English classes, where they would ask for assignments on composition and get violent science fiction stories from me.

2.) What inspired you to write it?
A desire to make English interesting. Instead, I managed to get a teacher who looked at me like I was going to kill her family.

3.) What was the first book you wrote?
A piece of crap at the age of fifteen. 378 pages without so much as a hint of plot.

4.) Of all the books you've written, which is your favorite?
It depends on the day. Currently I'm rather fond of DEEPER. Last week I was fond of CHERRY HILL.

5.) Which book would you like to forget you wrote?
Rabid Growth. I think I failed to accomplish everything I wanted to with that one. Too many experimental passages that just confused readers. I'm still fond of it, but I don;t think it completely succeeded as a stand alone story.

6.) Who is the most influential person in your life?
My wife, Bonnie.

7.) Who is your favorite author?
It depends on the day and who I'm reading. Most days I could maybe narrow that down to about ten people. Off the top of my head those include Christopher Golden, Mike Mignola, Eric Powell, Tom Sneigioski, Stephen King, H.P. Lovecraft, Jeff Strand, F.Paul Wilson, Tim Lebbon and Tom Piccirilli.

8.) If you could only own one book, what would it be?
The encyclopedia.

9.) When and where do you write?
Whenever I can and wherever I can. I have a laptop for when I'm away from the office and I have an office at home. Most of my writing is done after dinner or very late at night when I can manage a little peace and quiet.

10.) Do you have a "day job?"
Yes. I work at Starbucks. I've said before and will say many more times that anyone going through life without health insurance is begging to lose everything they have and both my wife and I have health issues that guarantee out of pocket insurance would be cost prohibitive. Don't be fools. Get insurance, keep insurance. That is the end of my public service announcement.

11.) Do you have a "dream job?"
Full time writer, but the sort that Hollywood believes in, you know, tours the country constantly and stil has time to write a best seller every four weeks.

12.) If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
The Northeast. I love the history and the four seasons. I also really love a good slice of NY pizza.

13.) What is your guilty pleasure?
I'm addicted to comic books.

Visit James Moore's web page

--Kimberly Cook

(The Black Glove thanks James Moore for his time)